Who We Are
A Loving Community of Faith
Inclusive and Welcoming of All
Family-Centered and Multigenerational
Passionate About Worship
Focused on Spiritual Formation
Southminster Presbyterian Church was chartered February 25, 1945, as a United Presbyterian of North America (UPNA) congregation of 83 members. Southminster has since been a part of two subsequent reunions with other branches of the Presbyterian family; in 1958, when the UPNA joined with the PCUSA (North) and in 1983, when the PCUSA joined with the PCUS (South). Today the church is a part of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
Our founding Pastor, Dr. James L. Cottrell, evangelized the Brookside neighborhood on bicycle in 1944-45, since gas rationing was still in effect. The original wooden prefab building was about 32′ deep by 64′ long and was located east of the Fellowship Hall. The original sanctuary was completed in 1949. The Fellowship Hall and educational wing were built in 1952. Both areas have since been extensively remodeled. Cottrell Hall was completed in 1958. In 2007, a modern Community Center was added with full kitchen, dining space, gym, workout facilities, running track, and classrooms.
Southminster is The Heart of Brookside and looks forward to a bright future of serving our neighbors and community.
Past pastors: Dr. Herbert B. Anderson, Dr. Lorenz W. Huenemann, Dr. Douglas K. Fletcher, Drs. J. David Fletcher and Judy Fletcher (co-pastors), Dr. Stephen Smith, and Dr. Sam Huan.
Eastern Oklahoma Presbytery
Eastern Oklahoma Presbytery exists to glorify God by serving congregations as they make and equip disciples for Jesus Christ, and by linking congregations of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) within the diversity of Christ’s larger mission. The presbytery stretches from Kansas to Texas from Arkansas to the middle of the state.
Eastern Oklahoma Presbytery includes:
◦ 94 ministers
◦ 38 serve congregations
◦ 12 non-parish ministers
◦ 39 honorably retired
◦ 20 Commissioned Ruling Elders
◦ 20 Lay Preachers
◦ 5 Inquirers for ministry
◦ 9 Candidates for ministry
◦ 65 congregations
◦ 3 Larger Parishes:
◦ Choctaw Agency (11 congregations)
◦ Indian Parish (3 congregations)
◦ Bryan County Parish (2 congregations)
◦ 8,554 members
49% of our congregations have 50 or fewer members
Presbyterian Church (USA)
The Presbyterian Church (USA), or PC(USA), is a mainline Protestant Christian denomination in the United States. Part of the Reformed tradition, it is the largest Presbyterian denomination in the U.S., and known for its relatively progressive stance on doctrine. The PC(USA) was established by the 1983 merger of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, whose churches were located in the Southern and border states, with the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, whose congregations could be found in every state.
The denomination had 1,572,660 active members and 20,077 ordained ministers in 9,642 congregations at the end of 2015. This number does not include the inactive members also affiliated. Its membership has been declining over the past several decades. The PC(USA) remains the largest Presbyterian denomination in the United States. In 2015, Pew Research estimated that 1% of the U.S population self-identify as PC(USA). In 2012-14, when all members were included, it was reported to have 2.8 million total. The PC(USA) is a member of the National Council of Churches, the World Communion of Reformed Churches, the World Council of Churches (WCC), and Christian Churches Together. Denominational offices are located in Louisville, Kentucky. The WCC reports that the PC(USA) has a higher possible number of 1.9 million members.